Thursday, February 11, 2010

Blog Post for Feb. 12

What determines a person to be smart or dumb? Really, it can't be determined if you ask me. I know more about sprint cars then anybody in our class and I'm sure they know way more about other things than I do so are we both dumb or both smart? Well, according to the great Dr. Bauerlein, our generation is the dumbest. To be honest, I do somewhat agree. Whenever we watched some of those clips in class; ex fill in the blank-the old man and the______. Hardly anybody knew that. It really showed me that people are not recognizing classic novels, quotes, authors, etc. And a lot of the people say, "well that's classic and it doesn't mean anything in today's society". And then we were told of a statistic that a number of people couldn't even find the United States on a map! Here's your sign! Whats wrong with this picture? Well, the classics are classics for a reason. It shows how society was back in that time period, and how everything was. And yes, probably some of today's works will be classics in 15-20 years. But I think there does need to be a balance between them. I remember doing Julius Caesar in high school and kind of thought it was interesting when most of the class thought it was stupid. But then when we'd do other works in a more recent time period, i wouldn't like it and they would. It's just a persons preference on what they like, but yet they should have a little bit of understanding in both worlds.

Now, with the dumbest generation standpoint, I do agree somewhat. I think that we probably are the dumbest generation due to the fact that we ALL rely a lot on technology to do things for us. But yet I think we have the capability to be the smartest generation. We have all kinds of resources and technology at our finger tips, but yet I think we don't know how to use it. Computer for example, the first thing most of us do when we start our computer is check facebook or myspace. Is that really what computers were made for? I thought that's what phones were for, oh and actually talking to the person face to face. But yet we tend to use all of these valuable resources the wrong way, which I think does make us be the dumbest generation. But yet, with all this technology, why are we the ones to blame? Technology all came about when the Europeans built ships to come to the Americas, so isn't technically building a ship new technology for them? And then when industrialization started to take over everything, that's definitely technology taking over. So, why are we the ones to blame when all of this "stuff" was created before our time? It looks like we are just getting the short end of the stick!

5 comments:

  1. I agree completely on your statement on how we have the capability to be the smartest generation, we just don't know how to use it in that way. I think this is what Bauerlein was trying to get at but it was presented in a more offensive way. If he would have mentioned this in his argument I might have been swayed a little more with him and his views. But I do agree that it is important to at least have an understanding of the classics. We do not necessarily have to like them, but I think it helps to be well-rehearsed in all different types of literature and areas of study. I do believe that if our generation and the generations after us learn how to use technology to enhance our knowledge we would be considered more enriched individuals and possibly even the “smartest generation.”

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see what you are saying, it is like we do get the short end of the stick. Yes we should know some classics but there should be a line. We tend to get hung up on "unimportant" things but are we supposed to be perfect. We are humans and allowed to make mistakes every now and then. That is called human nature. Why do we have to take the fall of others? Why should it be all our fault? When we have something it is as though we need it, it has been this way for all time and it isn't like we are the only ones to blame.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand what your saying about us being dumb and i agree that we could be called dumb and could not be at the same time. People knowing things in different areas is a good point, maybe we could say that were dumb in different subjects? And good point about the ships and the industrial revolution, they started it not us or the generation before us we have simply enhanced it, and ran with their beginnings of technology.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you. I feel that we are all knowledgeable in different catetgories. We all have strong points and week points and maybe english isnt our best subject?!?! But that doesnt mean we are dumb!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with the point you made. People have different strengths and weakness that each unique person that one have within them. Everyone will not master every subject. Its good to know alot of infomation but we all dont know everything from way back when. I think its neccessry to know our roots and where one come from.

    ReplyDelete